flatbreads

Tonight's falafel was almost a fiasco! Shortly before serving the falafel, I realized I was out of pita bread. Ack!

The grocery store is right up the street, but I did not want to disrupt my blissful Sunday afternoon by having to go there. It's small store, like what used to pass as a "supermarket" in 1965. The aisles are too narrow, they're usually out of (or don't carry) what I need, and it always seems uncomfortably crowded.

So, to avoid going there, I opted to make flatbreads from scratch!

My rolling technique could use some work, but I like these flatbreads better than the pitas, and I think I'll use them for other types of sandwiches.

Whole Wheat Flatbread Wraps

1 cup unbleached white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 t salt
1/4 baking powder
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup lukewarm water

Add everything except the water to the bowl of a food processor outfitted with a dough blade. Pulse a few times, until the mixture forms pea-size balls.

With the food processor running, slowly add the water and continue to run until the dough is smooth. Let it rest for 30 minutes in a bowl covered with a dish towel.

Knead the dough , and divide it into 4 balls. Roll them out on a floured surface as thin as possible and cook on an ungreased, preheated frying pan until a bubble forms, then flip and cook another minute or so.
These cost pennies to make, but their soft texture and irregular shape say gourmet!

I'm going to play with this recipe and see if I can cut back on the oil. I'm also going to try making them fajita size.

Labels: , , ,