fridays' homemade waffles

I work from home on Fridays and when The Oik is with us, homemade waffles are a Friday morning tradition.

Our waffle topping preferences are as different as the places we come from... The Oik prefers Nutella.  Robert likes sugar and lemon juice which is about as English as you can get.  And true to my roots, I go for butter and Vermont Maid syrup... it has to be Vermont Maid.

The Oik likes to take smug selfies with his waffles and Snapchat them to his friends, so it looks like I might actually be ok at this stepmonstering gig :)

homemade waffle recipe Here's my simple homemade waffle recipe... it makes four to six waffles, which is perfect for the three of us:

1 cup flour
4 1/2 t sugar
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1 1/4 c plain lowfat yogurt*
3 T canola oil
1 egg

Stir everything together in a mixing bowl and bake the batter on a hot waffle iron... easy, peasy!

Depending on which yogurt you use, you may find that the batter is a bit too thick, if that happens, just stir in a bit of water.  The batter should be thick enough to coat a spoon; if it sticks to the spoon like whipped cream, it's too thick.  Slightly thinner than muffin batter is ideal.

* The yogurt was a serendipitous discovery.  One morning I discovered I was out of milk... just try to keep track of fridge inventory with two guys in the house!  So I substituted plain lowfat yogurt and hoped I'd get away with it.  I more than got away with it!  They wanted to know what I did differently because they were "the best waffles ever," so I've been using yogurt ever since :)

Labels: , , ,