homemade chai latte

I'm a chai latte junkie. This has its downsides here in Denmark where they cost $8-$9 a pop and most places don't have soymilk.

So, I've taken matters into my own hands (again) and now I make them myself at home, with soymilk, and for way less than $8. Of course, this doesn't replace meeting friends at a café on a Saturday afternoon, but it sure is nice to sip one at home when I don't feel like going out.

My experience indicates that the best chai lattes are made from a syrup, not from a teabag and spices. I'm sure it can be debated whether or not this is actual "chai," but honestly, I don't care about that. I like what I like, and here's how I make it...

10 teabags
1/2 t nutmeg
3/4 t cinnamon
1/4 t black pepper
1/4 t ground ginger
3/4 t ground cloves
1 1/8 t ground cardamom
4 1/2 cups boiling water
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
3 T honey
1 T vanilla

I use English Breakfast tea for this. It's a readily available black tea that's generally fixed with milk and sugar, so it works well.

I add the spices and teabags to a large bowl, add the boiling water, stir, and steep it for 20 minutes or so.

Then, I remove the teabags and strain it through my yogurt cheese maker a couple of times to filter out the sediment from the spices. Using whole cardamom, nutmeg, cloves, etc., would simplify things, but I have an easier time finding ground spices here, so that's what I use.

After it's been well strained, I stir in the sugar, honey, and vanilla, and store it in the fridge in a Mason jar.

You may need to tweak the spice and sweetener proportions according to your taste, but this tastes pretty spot on to the latte I get at my favorite café, and it includes all of the spices listed on their menu, plus the honey that I can most definitely taste :)

When I want a chai latte, I mix the heated syrup about 50/50 with frothed soy milk. I used to have a really nice super automatic Jura Capresso, but my equipment is a bit more humble these days, so I just use the microwave and a frothing wand.

And it seems to work just fine :)

Labels: , ,