veggie korma

Where have you been all my life?

I cannot get enough of the creamy flavor of coconut milk and exotic spiciness of madras curry powder, fresh ginger, and garam masala. It makes me want to go to India, just to eat :)

This is a soul warming on cold fall/winter evening, eating next to the fire kind of dish. And it's easy to improvise with what's on hand.

vegetable oil
1 medium/large onion, chopped
1 t minced fresh ginger root
2 garlic cloves, pressed
4 - 6 potatoes, cubed
5 carrots, cubed
3 T ground cashews
2 t salt
1 T curry powder
1/2 t garam masala
1/2 t turmeric
hot chili powder
1 cup frozen green peas
1 red pepper, chopped
400 ml coconut milk

Sauté the onion in a bit of oil over medium heat, until it softens. Add the ginger and garlic, sauté for a few seconds, then add the potatoes, carrots, cashews, salt, curry powder, garam masala, turmeric, and hot chili powder to taste.

Cook, stirring occasionally until the potatoes are becoming tender, 10 minutes or so, then stir in the rest of the ingredients. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for at least 10 minutes. I think it's best to turn the heat to very low and simmer longer to develop the flavors, but 10 minutes should be enough if you're in a hurry. Though you should strive for slow food over fast food ;)

I served it over not so properly cooked brown rice; someday I'll get the cups to ml conversion right :( It's even better the second day! Other things I would add to this dish are cauliflower, green beans, and chickpeas.

Make it, you will thank me :)

Labels: , , ,