thrifted sofa

I mentioned the other day that there was a fabulous thrifted treasure being delivered on Wednesday. Well, it's here!

It's a new to me vintage sofa with red velvet cushions!!!

And I love it!

It's replacing the daybed, which was always meant to be a temporary solution until the perfect sofa came along.

There's only one slight issue, it smells like attic. As a seasoned thrift shopper and vintage aficionado, I have my own steam cleaner, so it's gotten two thorough steam cleanings. But that hasn't helped the smell :(

They don't sell Febreze in Denmark and I actually abhor the scent of it, but desperate situations call for desperate measures, so I bought a bottle of fabric softener, mixed 1 part to 2 parts water, and sprayed it onto the sofa. The attic smell is gone, but now it and my entire place reeks of fabric softener. I cannot stand scented laundry soaps and fabric softeners, so I should've known better.

I've been misting it with straight white vinegar, which I'm hoping will cut down on the fabric softener scent, plus it's a disinfectant, and never hurts to disinfect furniture of unknown origins. I need my place to stop smelling like a laundromat!

If I can't resolve the smell issue, I may need to donate it back, which will break my heart. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them :)

P.S. I still haven't picked a paint color, but now with the red sofa cushions, I'm leaning towards red more than ever.

Labels: , , ,