blueberry muffins

I'm sorry for being absent lately. I had surgery last week, and I've been consumed with the details of packing up life in one country and coordinating its migration to another. There are just so many logistics to deal with!

Anyway, we all know that food brings comfort. Having lost 45 lbs. and kept it off for 10+ years, I don't use food as a drug, but I'd be lying if I said the simplicity of a fresh blueberry muffin and a pot of tea doesn't bring me comfort from time to time.

1 cup milk
1/4 cup applesauce
(or vegetable oil)

1 egg
1/2 t vanilla
2 cups flour
(I use 1/2 whole wheat & 1/2 unbleached all purpose)
1/3 cup white sugar
3 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 cup blueberries
1/4 cup flour
(all purpose)

2 T brown sugar
2 T butter

In a large bowl, beat together the milk, applesauce, egg, and vanilla. Stir in the 2 cups flour, white sugar, baking powder, and salt, just until moist. The batter will be lumpy, do not over mix, or else the muffins will be tough.

Fold in the blueberries, then divide the batter evenly between greased or paper lined muffin cups.

In a small bowl, cut the 2 T butter into the 1/4 cup all purpose flour and brown sugar until crumbs form. Sprinkle atop the filled muffin cups.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20 -25 minutes (longer for jumbo size) or until golden.

This will make 12 regular size muffins, or 6 jumbo size :)

I use applesauce in place of oil to cut the fat content, I also think it makes a moister muffin.

Labels: , , ,