cornbread

I love cornbread, but it was coming out too dry and crumbly. So, I decided to master it, and came up with this moist, honey-kissed, almost cake-like version that uses a 1:3 cornmeal to flour ratio.

I think it's just perfect, though I'm not sure my Southern friends will agree ;-)

1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
2/3 cups sugar
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 1/4 cups milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 T butter, melted
1 T honey

Combine the flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl and set it aside.

In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, oil, butter, and honey. Add it to the dry ingredients and stir just until it's blended.

Bake it in a greased pie plate at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Or bake it in four mini loaf pans...
just shorten the cooking time by 10 minutes or so :)

Labels: , , ,