chickpea tacos

I have a minor culinary obsession with chickpeas. They're inexpensive, high in protein, iron and fiber, low in fat, and can help lower cholesterol. I buy them in 6 lb. cans, by the case.

I'm amazed by chickpeas' versatility, and they've become the staple of one of my favorite healthy, fast, at home meals...chickpea tacos!

3 cups cooked chickpeas*
1/2 cup liquid from cooking chickpeas (or water)*
1 packet taco seasoning
taco shells & toppings

This couldn't be easier! I add the chickpeas, liquid, and taco seasoning to a skillet and cook it over medium-high heat until the liquid is absorbed.

I usually serve the chickpeas in hard taco shells with lettuce and salsa. I've also served them in flour tortillas, or over a bed of romaine for a quick & healthy taco salad!

This is a very inexpensive and healthy meal. The chickpeas cost $2.69 for a 6 lb. 14 oz. can; taco shells are $.99; taco seasoning is $.29; salsa is $1.49 for a 12 oz. jar.


*Or two 15 oz. cans of chickpeas, one drained and one undrained.

Labels: , , ,