greek salad

The number of food miles in this bowl is obscene, but I've been craving a Greek salad and it'll be almost 5 months before I can make one from my garden.

I used traditional feta here; I'm trying to perfect a tofu-based version.

Dressing
3/4 cup olive oil
2 T lemon juice
2 T red wine vinegar
3 t oregano (I used dried)
1 t basil (I used dried)
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 t sugar
1/2 t sea salt
1/4 - 1/2 t black pepper

Salad
1/2 - 1 head romaine, washed & torn
2 plum tomatoes, cut into chunks
1/2 cucumber, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 cup black olives (or kalamata)
feta cheese

Add the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, oregano, basil, garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper to a blender and blend until smooth and combined. Let it chill for a few hours, but preferably overnight.

Toss the vegetables, feta, with your desired amount of dressing in a large bowl.

This recipe makes enough dressing for 2-3 salads. I sometimes halve it, but generally like to have an excuse to eat it more than once ;)

OK, so I'm not going to win a frugal or green award for this one, but even out of season, the cost of making this salad myself was less than 1/2 of what I'd pay for one of comparable size at a local restaurant.

Labels: , ,