teriyaki sauce

One of the great things about cooking from scratch is that a well stocked pantry yields nearly infinite combinations of foods. I rarely buy pre-made sauces because I can make them better from scratch at a huge savings.

This is the teriyaki sauce I use for my tempeh "cheesesteak" sandwiches. It's a thick sauce and might not be suitable for marinating meats, but it's wonderful for stir fries, grilling, dipping, etc.

1/4 cup soy sauce
1 cup water
1/2 t ground ginger
5 T light brown sugar, firmly packed
2 T honey
2 T cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water

In a medium saucepan, whisk together everything but the cornstarch and 1/4 cup cold water and cook over medium-high heat.

Whisk together the cornstarch and cold water in a seperate dish until the cornstarch is dissolved. Immediately add it to the heating sauce mixture.

Continue to heat, stirring often until the sauce turns clear and is a consistency you like. The sauce will be cloudy when you first add the cornstarch mixture.

I store leftover sauce in the refrigerator in a Mason Jar. It thickens because of the cornstarch, but I just give it a quick whisk before measuring. The consistency improves once it's reheated.

While the cost of a batch of this sauce is negligible, a small bottle of prepared teriyaki would run me close to $3.

Labels: , ,