perfect winter lunch

I started the crockpot when I woke up this morning. By noon, I had a steaming pot of delicious homemade potato soup!

Warm your soul:

6 potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
1 medium/large onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
5 cups vegetable stock
1 T dried parsley
1 T salt
1/3 cup butter
1 cup non-fat dry milk
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water

Combine everything but the milk and water in a crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours.

In the last hour of cooking, whisk together the water and dry milk. Add it to the crockpot.

When the soup is fully cooked, puree about 3/4 of the vegetables in a blender or food processor and return to the pot.

I'm fancy, so I sprinkled some dried chives on top of each dish before unveiling. However, I wasn't fancy enough to bake bread today :(

I made 3 quarts of this soup for under $2. I was able to find 5 lbs. of Maine all purpose potatoes for $.99 on the reduced for quick sale shelf. I make my own vegetable stock, then save the spent veggies for my vermicomposter.

12 oz of evaporated milk will work in place of the reconstituted dry milk. 4 vegetable bouillon cubes and 5 cups of water will work in place of the stock.

Labels: , ,